Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farmstay,
571, Upper Meanjee Estate, Kannimariamman Kovil Street,
Coonoor, Tamil Nadu 643 101, India.
Mobile: 94432-32621 Landline: +91 423-223-2621
Welcome to Acres Wild Farmstay!
Here are some tips & a guide to make your stay with us even more enjoyable!
Please do read through this so that you are familiar with how things work!
Tina and Mansoor are the property owners.
Mansoor handles the general management and Tina handles the food and billing.
If you have any problems please call Mansoor at +91-94432-32621 or Tina at 94430-37401.
Munna is our farm manager. Mobile: +91 94426-63881
Munna is on the farm premise only from 10 am to 5 pm. Other hours please call Mansoor at +91 94432-32621.
Murgesh and Radha stay on the property and helps in cooking and serving meals. Murgesh: +91 97512-33198.
Mary (10 am to 5 pm) makes the cheese and also helps with housekeeping: Mobile +91-91594-55889
How to get to Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farmstay.
By Car from Bangalore.
Distance is 350 km. Travelling Time: 6 to 8 hours depending on traffic.
Take the Mysore Highway to Madhumalai Sanctuary. From here there are 2 options to go up the ghats to Ooty. The shorter route has 36 hairpin bends. The longer route goes through Gudulur and is 20km more in distance. Both reach Ooty eventually.
Once you get to Ooty take the main road that goes to Coimbatore/Coonoor till you get to Coonoor Town.
Soon after the Coonoor railway station take a left and cross over the railway crossing.
Take the road past the bus depot which is a blue-grey building with a clock tower on it.
Shortly pass the clock tower you will pass the fire-station then a few yards down the road take the right fork with a green roadsign that says KANIMARRIAMMAN KOVIL STREET.
Go down this little lane till you pass a masjid, and a mandir.
Continue further till you cross a little bridge. Here there are 3 roads. Take the left most road going up. (there is a Yellow & Black sign at this point saying ACRES WILD.
Just follow all the ACRES WILD signs till you come to a CAR PARK sign.
You are now in Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farmstay.
There is a small structure next to the car park which is our Reception Area.
Please take a seat there and give a call to our manager Munna who handles check-ins at +91 94426-63881
If no reponse then please call Mansoor’s Mobile 94432-32621.
By Car from Coimbatore.
Distance is 85 km. Travelling Time: 2 to 3 hours depending on traffic.
Take the Coimbatore - Coonoor Road via Mettupalayam.
At Coonoor Junction turn right over the railway crossing and follow directions from there as shown above.
There are buses running from Bangalore, Mysore, Mettupalayam & Coimbatore to Coonoor.
From Coonoor Bus Station take a taxi or auto. It is a only 2 km from the bus stand. Approximate Time: 10 mins from Coonoor Bus Station to Acres Wild Farmstay. An taxi (check our list below of operators) should cost you Rs.200. An auto Rs 100/-.
You can catch The Nilgiri Passenger, the toy train that leaves from Mettupalayam and gets you to Coonoor Railway Station.
From the station take a taxi/ auto. Follow the direction above. Approximate Time: 15 mins from Coonoor Railway Station to Acres Wild Farmstay. An auto should cost about 120 and taxi should cost you Rs.200.
Please do check with the persons mentioned below for current rates and to suit your requirement.
Coimbatore Airport Drop or Pickup to Coonoor (General Rates)
Indica: Rs. 1,500 non-AC and Rs. 1,700 with AC
Indigo: Rs. 1,600 non-AC and 1,800 with AC
Ford Icon: same as Indigo
Innova: 2,500 Ac or Non AC
Taxi per day in and around Coonoor.
Kindly check the rates directly with the taxi operators directly as this can vary a lot.
Option 1: Mr. Manohar.
We suggest him often as he is very popular and reliable.
Mobile: +91 94430-78484.
Option 2: Kevin Travels
A new option. Courteous and punctual. Also have a 20 seater Swaraj Mazda mini van for larger groups.
Mr.Dinesh +91 94880-65722
Mr.Madhavan +91 98438-40412
Land line 0423-223-5413, 223-6668 from 9am ‐ 7pm (except sundays)
Option 3: Mr. Prabhakar.
Strongly recommended by some visitors to our farm for his politness and helpful nature.
Mobile - +91 94430-85278.
1. Coonoor Drug Stores: Jograj Building, Bedford. +91 423-223-0272
2. Fire & Ambulance Service: 101 / +91 423-223-0101
3. Government Lawley Hospital: +91 423-223-1050
4. Jain Navyuk Sangh Ambulance: +91-94431-01060
5. Nankem Hospital & Ambulance Service: Rajaji Nagar, off Figure of 8 road, Coonoor +91 423-223-1550 A private hospital with facilities to take care of any emergency.
Check IN & OUT
Check In: 12:00 Noon
Check Out: 11:00 am
Guests should bring their own beverages and toiletries other than soap & shampoo.
Smoking is allowed on the porch or gazebo but not in the cottages.
Pets are not allowed on the beds or on the furniture.
Guests are requested to use the equipment, furniture, fittings etc with care. Any damages by guests will be charged for.
We may, at our own discretion and without liability or cost to ourselves at any time cancel or terminate the guest's booking in the event of illegal or incompatible behavior of the guest, who shall in such circumstances not be entitled to any refund.
There are 2 rooms in Cheddar & 2 rooms in Haloumi House and one in Colby cottage.
Each room has a double bed that can be separated into 2 single beds.
The Sheets & Pillow Cases will normally be changed once a week during longer stays
Toilets & Bathing
There is a bathroom attached to each bedroom.
Each of the bathrooms has a shower and a solar water heating system that also serves as a geyser.
If the water is not hot enough then the geysers may be switched on 30 minutes before you bathe and switched off when you finish.
If there is any problem with the hot water please inform Munna (+91 94426-63881) and we will arrange hot water in a bucket.
We provide one bath towel per person and 2 hand towels per bathroom. For those staying for a longer period the towels will be changed once a week.
There are Emergency Lights permanently fitted on the wall in each bedroom, bathroom and in the living room in case the electricity goes off (as it sometimes does in hill stations!).
There is also a torch in each bedroom that you could carry when coming to our dining area. But please replace it in the bedroom when you leave. Thanks.
Please check where the Emergency Torch for your room is so that you are not at a loss if the lights go out.
For those who would like a more rustic experience when the lights go out there are some candles on the Living Room mantelpiece. You are most welcome to use them any time you like! But please be careful where you keep it to avoid fire hazards.
There are exterior lights on the outside of the house. The switches are in the Bedroom (for the lights outside the bedroom) & Living Room for the lights in the verandah.
For Cheddar House there are lights for the path & stairs from the carpark down/up to the house. The switch for these is just outside the Verandah or outside the dining hall. Please ask Munna to put them on for you if they are off.
Please switch off all lights when you are not in a particular area!
PLEASE NOTE: We don't serve lunch on day of arrival of guest because very often it is hard to estimate time of arrival and the lunch gets wasted. We suggest you please eat on the way. Please check further in this document for suggested places to eat in Coonoor and Ooty. For the rest of your stay here you can please inform us at breakfast time if you would like to eat lunch that day.
Meals are served in the Dining Room. If you are unable to make it you can request us to pack a tiffin carrier but you will have to come to the dining to room to collect it.
We do not provide any kind of room service.
Please inform us a day in the morning whether you are going to have lunch or dinner with us that day.
We provide bottled water for drinking in the cottages and also in the dining area.
VEGETARIAN MEAL:- Rice, Roti, Sambhar or Dal, 2 Vegetables, Curd, Salad & Desert. OR Soup, garlic bread, salad, Bake and Dessert.
VEGETARIAN MEAL PRICE: is Rs.300/- per person per meal. Children Under 10 will be charged Rs 150/- per child.
NON VEGETARIAN MEAL: Rice, Sambhar or Dal, 1 Vegetable, 1 Fish OR Chicken dish, Curd, Salad & desert.
NON-VEGETARIAN MEAL PRICE: : is Rs.350/- per person per meal. Children under 10 will be charged Rs 175/- per child.
Breakfast : 8:00 10:00 am
Lunch : We don't serve lunch on the day of arrival of guest because very often it is hard to estimate time of arrival and the lunch gets wasted. We suggest you please eat on the way. Please check further in this document for suggested places to eat in Coonoor and Ooty. For the rest of your stay here you can please inform us at breakfast time if you would like to eat lunch that day.
Dinner : 8:00 9:30 pm
One Breakfast per person per night of stay is complimentary.
Any extra Breakfast will be Rs. 200/- per person including a cup of tea or coffee.
Tea milk and sugar are provided for your use. Please feel free to make your own cup of tea.
Vegetarian Breakfast includes Seasonal fruit, Upma OR Potato Poha, Bread, Butter, Acres Wild cheese, toast and homemade jam.
Non-Veg Breakfast includes seasonal fruit, 2 eggs of your choice, Bread, Butter, Acres Wild Cheese, toast and homemade jam.
Shopping for Food, Groceries & Toiletries
1. Aboo Fish Stall No.
05 Coonoor Market +91 423-223-4208 / 223-3647 / +91-94432-80941
This is where we buy our fish. Prawns, bekti, red snapper, trout and lots of other exciting stuff!
2. Baker's Junction.
27 Staines School Road, Coonoor 643 101 +91 423-222-2223/ 223-4149 / +91 94430-35551
We love doing our shopping here! They have most things you could need. Toiletries, provisions, juices, eggs, breads, frozen foods incl. chicken & fish, and also fresh vegetables in front. They also stock Acres Wild Cheese.
3. Coonoor Main Market
Wonderfully quaint and a very manageable sized market. You get the freshest vegetables, fruit, meat & fish here! Parts of the market are shut on Fridays.
4. Green Shop
Jograj Building, Bedford Circle, Upper Coonoor +91 423-223-8412
Organic Food, Honey, Pottery, Handicrafts, Essential Oils, Garments, Books, CDs, Incense & Toys.
5. Kurinji Vegetable Shop
Bedford, Coonoor If you do not feel like going all the way down to Coonoor Market, you can shop here. He has a good range of fruits & vegetables and sometimes really exotic ones!
6. Laxmi Narayan Stores
NKN Complex, Bedford, Coonoor +91-423223-2394
When you cannot find something, LNS is bound to have it! There is also a decent mithai shop next to it.
7. Leonard's Exotic English Cuisine
+91 96293-35504 / 98942-11124
Caters very bland English cuisine with a few exotic Goan dishes thrown in! You can order any of his stuff and he delivers it to you! Not sure of him delivering to Acres Wild…check it out.
Mount Road, Coonoor Part of a retail chain. Good for provisions.
9. Mutton Shop
No.15 Coonoor Market +91 98438-87102 / +91 98439-10160
This is where we buy our mutton. Excellent legs, mince, chops and pieces. The beef stalls are on the level above this in the market.
10. Tulsi Mall
31 Mount Pleasant road, Lower Coonoor +91-423-220-7277 / 220-7377 / 220-6922
Fresh vegetables, fruits & groceries besides anything you could ever imagine. Get them to take you to their antique sections! They have two warehouses full of fascinating stuff…including a lot of enamel ware! They are shut on Tuesdays.
11. Vijaya Stores
Coonoor Market +91 423-223-0598
Provision store with a cold storage. Good place when you are in the market. The mutton stalls are just opposite them. There is also a shop that sells fresh coffee beans next door. Lot of fruit shops also nearby.
Restaurants & Cafes in the Nilgiris.
1. Mc Iver or La Belle Vie
It is located on the Wellington Gymkhana road (about a km before the Wellington Gymkhana.
A quaint resturaunt in a lovely old british style structure. They offer italian and continental cuisines.
Tel: +91 423-223-3222 2.
2. Café Coffee Day
Grays Hill, Sims Park road, Bedford, Upper Coonoor
Part of the India-wide chain. Good espresso & cappuccino.
2. Cheri Brews
109, Crown Prince Hall, Mount Road, Coonoor
Small quaint cafe for snacks and some good tea and coffee. Run by a friend Rishant who is friendly and fun!
Mobile: 99425-63665 Landline: 0423-223-3464
Commercial road, Ooty
Amongst the oldest cafes in Ooty on the main shopping street. Very near by is King Star…famous with all the school kids for their chocolates & fudges. For dosas & snacks.
4 . Orchid Square
Orchid Square, Opp C.M.S.,
Brooklands. +91 423-223-8306 Good Indian, Tandoori and Chinese food. On weekends they have a do on the terrace.
5. Madurai Appu
23 Mount Road, Coonoor
Authentic Chettinad Food + Chinese! Haven’t eaten there ourselves but a friend recommends it highly.
6. Quality Restaurant
Bedford +91-423-223-6400 This is a multi cuisine restaurant. They have an interesting buffet lunch during the tourist seasons.
7. Red Hills
They are located at Avalanchi is 28km from Ooty. It is in a vast stretch of undisturbed tropical forest with a lot of wildlife, especially ibex. They can arrange lunch if you let them know you are coming. Mr. Vijay is the owner and his mobile is +91 94422-54755. Office number is +91-423-259-5755
8. Shinkows Chinese Restaurant
Commissioners road, Ooty
Probably the oldest Chinese restaurant in Ooty. Good wholesome fare and generous helpings! We always lunch here when we go to Ooty.
9. Sri Lakshmi
DVD Complex, TDK Pillai road, Lower Coonoor
Excellent South Indian vegetarian restaurant. Great value for money. Great filter coffee too!
+91 423 223-8889
10. The Gateway Hotel (earlier called Taj Garden Retreat)
Church Road, Upper Coonoor +91 423-223-0021 / 223-0531 / 223-4141 Multi cuisine restaurant. Normal 5 star fare.
Shopping in the Nilgiris!
1. Big Shop
Commercial Road, Ooty
Besides a whole range of products, they have great jewelry! Worth checking out.
2. Mohan Stores
Commissioners Road, Ooty
Lots of beautiful old & new things for the house. Remember not to go to Ooty on a Thursday as most shops are shut.
3. Needle Craft - Erin Villa
Singara Estate Road, Coonoor
Beautiful and expensive embroidered stuff. Lovely drive to the place. Beautiful garden. Well worth a visit.
4. The Transcultural Mission Coonoor.
This is in Brooklands, Upper Coonoor.
Conducted by Pamila Alves for women to learn and make various kinds of embroidery for sale. Rates are very reasonable. Mobile: +91 96263-43774
5. Rose and Teak
Commissioners Road, Ooty
Sells beautiful antique furniture. Is owned by Mohan Store. Go to their warehouse. It is quite stunning.
6. Sree Guru Ragavendra Antiques
Jothimani Complex, Aruvankadu
Sells Tanjore paintings & antique furniture. Is on the way to Ooty if you take the normal route. Phone and let him know you are coming or you may find the shop shut.
7. Tulsi Mall
31 Mount Pleasant Road, Lower Coonoor
You have to see this place to believe it! There is nothing that it does not have except for non-vegetarian food!
It is run by a Marwari family headed by Shantilal and ably assisted by brothers, cousins, sons & nephews!
There is Kamal, Uttam, Sidharth, & Sunil to name a few.
They really treat us as family. A lot of what you see in our house and cottages is from Tulsi Mall!
+91 423-220-7277 / 220-7377 / 220-6922
8. Variety Hall Agencies
Near Market, Lower Coonoor Just next to Sri Lakshmi.
Our favorite thali place. Wonderful sarees and materials! Run by a cousin of Shantilal of Tulsi Mall fame.
Primrose Building, Church Road, Bedford, Upper Coonoor.
Very lovely antique furniture & knick-knacks for the house. Owned by a friend of ours, Kirit Rajpal.
+91 423-222-1413 / 222-1730
Activity & Non-Activity!
1. Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farmstay
We have a billiards/pool/snooker table. This is only for adults and preferably those who have some knowledge of the game as the table is expensive and delicate. Please check with us if you have any doubts about this.
There is also a Foosball table. Yes that is table football and great fun for all ages.
There is a carrom table and hopefully you can find all the coins. Well that also means please be kind to the guests after you and replace coins carefully in the box :-).
There is a Tata Sky satellite connection in The Club House.
There is also a TV & DVD player here. If you have not brought along any DVDs, you can check with us or get some from Tulsi Mall.
NOTE: Please unplug the mains of the TV/DVD etc from the wall after you finish as electronics plugged into sockets is very vulnerable to lightning in the hills. This applies to your own electronic gadgets that you use in your room too!!!
There is also a good collection of books for those who like to read.
2. Coonoor Club
Near Sims Park, Coonoor - +91-423-222-171 / +91 423-223-1714
You have to be a member of club that is affiliated to Coonoor Club to be able to use its facilities.
They have badminton, tennis, table-tennis & snooker.
They also have a card room for Bridge addicts!
They sometimes run a Summer Camp for children.
3. Highfield Horse Riding School Highfield Tea Factory - +9190955-67811
Between 7 am 8 am & 5 pm 6pm. Call and make an appointment.
You can also take a tour of the tea factory and buy all your spices there!
4. Jacaranda Spa & Salon
Coral Gables Inn, Coonoor Club Road, Coonoor - +91 423-223-2561 / +91 94422-89565
The young man there gives a fantastic Spa Pedicure & Manicure and the massage chair you sit on is brilliant!
Going to try the head & shoulder massage one of these days. They do many other types of massages, reflexology, hair-cuts, shampoos, facials and other spa & salon stuff.
5. K Holistic
Figure of 8 Road, Opp Vivek Tourist Home, Coonoor - +91 98402-08735
Owned and run by Kayoko Rozario, a Japanese lady and a friend of ours who gives excellent massages, pedicures and facials.
You will have to call her and make an appointment. I recommended this highly. Swedish massages, aroma therapy, reflexology etc
6. Lending Library - Bharatiya Vidhya Bhavan
Veena Complex, Mount Road, Coonoor - +91-94426-31958
It is closed on Mondays.
7. Light & Life Academy
Gandhipet, Kollimallai Road, Lovedale, Ooty - +91 423517370
Anuradha & Iqbal Mohamed run courses in photography.
8. Naturalife Spa
Nankem Hospital Premises, Coonoor - +91 423-223-6550 / +91-94426-44283
They also do massages, facials, manicures & pedicures. I hear they are quite good.
They also have a Naturalife Clinic where they treat ailments with Ayurveda, Homoeopathy, Naturopathy & Yoga.
9. Ooty Gymkhana Club
Golf Links Road, Ooty - +91 423-244-2254 / 244-8497
You are required to bring your own golf kit and must have knowledge of the game. There is a dress code to be adhered to and you must make a reservation.
10. Wellington Gymkhana Club
Wellington - +91 423220-2040
You are required to bring your own golf kit and must have knowledge of the game. There is a dress code & club rules to be adhered to and you must make a reservation.
11. Yoga Body Mind Workshop
Shangri-la, Brooklands, Coonoor - +91 98943-58545 / +91 94436-05588
Run by Vinod Kumar & his Japanese wife. They also do Reiki.
Places to See in the Nilgiris.
1. Avalanchi with its breathtaking scenery is 28km from Ooty. Wildlife, especially ibex, can be seen in the vast stretches of undisturbed tropical forests. Avalanchi supposedly got its name from a huge landslide in 1824 when there were eight days of non-stop rain, thunder & winds. There is a hotel called Red Hills in Avalanchi and they can give you lunch if you let them know you are coming.
2. Botanical Gardens in Ooty. Was established over 150 years ago. It is set amidst a sprawling area of 55 acres and has a wide variety of plants & trees with well manicured lawns on all sides.
3. Doddabetta at a height of 2623 meters, it is the highest peak in the Nilgiris with breathtaking scenery all around. There is even a telescope to look through. The charm of the place has been somewhat eroded in recent years due to the stores that have sprung up around the area. There is a lovely scenic road that connects Kotagiri with Ooty, which branches off to Doddabetta. It is lengthier than the normal route to Ooty but since there is very little traffic on this road, it does not take much longer!
4. Dolphin’s Nose or Mookumalai (mooku meaning nose & malai meaning mountain in Tamil) is the last stop on the road connecting Lamb’s Rock & Lady Canning Seat. You go through narrow winding roads with tea bushes on either side, mist filled valleys below and bright sunshine above, to get to Dolphin’s Nose. A promontory over the Kotagiri Valley from which Catherine Falls (which is a splendid waterfall or a small trickle depending on how much rain has fallen) and the Coonoor & Kotagiri streams can be seen merging to form the Bhavani River.
5. Hulikal Droog (huli = tiger; kal = stone; droog = fort in Kannada) is a precipitous bluff with a 4000ft drop at the very end of the range extending to Coonoor. This perpendicular drop to the Mettupalayam & Coimbatore plains is awe inspiring. Go through the Nonsuch Tea Estate (about 5 km from Coonoor) and you will come to the ruins of this old sixteenth century fortress said to have been used by Tippu Sultan as an outpost. Go in a group as it is quite lonely at the fort and there are bison! You may have to walk the last bit up to the fort as the road is not motorable.
6. Lady Canning Seat is just a little further down the road connecting Lamb’s Rock with Dolphin’s Nose. It is named for the then Viceroy’s wife who loved the place and stayed in the hotel built on the edge of the ravine in 1858. She used to ride, walk, sketch and study botany. It has beautiful views of Lamb’s Rock, Hulikal Droog and Lampton’s Peak (in Coimbatore District) one above the other.
7. Lamb's Rock with a breathtaking view of the plains, Lamb’s Rock is believed to be named after one Captain Lamb who was instrumental in making a path to this spot. Lamb’s Rock is on the way to Dolphin’s Nose. It is approximately 6 kms from Coonoor.
8. Law's Falls on the road connecting Mettupalayam with Coonoor, these falls are named after Col G V Law who helped complete the ghat road and is an incredible sight to see especially after the rains.
9. Masinagudi & Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuaries: Not up in the hills and actually down in the plains. It is part of the Nilgiris Biosphere Reserve. Masinagudi is 13 km northwest of Ooty as the crow flies. It has two lovely places to have lunch & a swim - Jungle Hut & Jungle Retreat. You can also go on a safari to see the wild life. You have to book ahead. Mudumalai becomes the Bandipur Sanctuary on the Karnataka border. You can book a safari from Ooty at the Tourist Office. You can almost be sure of seeing bison, elephants, peacocks, wild boar, chital, sambar, barking deer, porcupines, squirrels & of course…monkeys.
10. Ooty Lake a man-made lake that spans a distance of about 2 km. Boats are available on hire at the lake. There are lots of games at the adjoining amusement park.
11. Pykara Dam & Waterfalls is 19km from Ooty railway station. Great picnic spot. Paddle & motor boats are available for a refundable deposit.
12. Rallia Dam Off the Kotagiri road at Betatti. The dam’s foundation was laid in 1935 and it was inaugurated in 1941. Rallia Dam is the main source of water supply to Coonoor. It is a charming, peaceful place, quite nice for a picnic! A number of scenes from the film Roja were shot here.
13. Sims Park: in Coonoor. Set amidst 12.14 hectares of lush greenery, this park was established in 1874. The garden has over 1200 species of plants and over 200 varieties of roses.
14. Wellington is the cantonment area and is devoted almost entirely to the military. It is well known for its Defence Services Staff College, the only one of its kind in Asia. Also the Madras Regimental Centre. The Wellington Gymkhana Club has a very interesting and challenging golf course.
15. Trekking: If you are the adventurous type and like to go trekking you can contact Mr Sultan Mubarak +91 99438-33801 Work +91 98431-36512 Mob Address : Upper Coonoor Auto Stand, Bedford.
Enjoy your visit and do come again!